Sunday 22 April 2012

Twitter VS The Press

Twitter has been a huge issue for the press since it began. With twitter having grown in popularity so much in recent years it’s even more of an issue than it ever has been before. But really how credible is twitter? Is it really a repetable news source? And what impact is it having on the press?
Myself I check twitter more than I do online newspapers so I generally find out much of my news via twitter. I also tend not to follow newspapers as they tweet too much content that I’m not interested in. I do believe that twitter is taking over the press and is actually far more repatable then many newspapers for a couple of reasons:
-        Firstly many newspapers have an allegiance to certain political parties, so many of the stories can be bias, especially when it comes to election time.
-        Selective information is used in news stories. With twitter you follow exactly what is happening at certain events from people tweeting, therefore you can get a much more realistic picture.
Twitter is becoming more and more powerful and influential, such as actually bringing news stories to the forefront and in some cases reporting things before the press. This article exemplifies that perfectly claiming that the news of Whitney Houston’s death was release by two twitter users 27 minutes before the press.
It’s a tough time for the press right now without the internet and twitter posing such a huge pressure. But I agree with MelanieStills article when she concludes that it isn’t twitter versus the press it’s the press and twitter. Twitter links things to the press and is creating a two way road for the public to have an opinion on news stories.
Want to know more?
I definitely reccomend reading this article or any of the others I have linked to with the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment